From April 23 to 29, movie lovers in Playa del Carmen will be treated to an extravaganza of cinema when the Riviera Maya Film Festival comes to town.
The 2015 program features 70 films, of which 53 are having their premiere in Mexico, in addition to workshops, seminars, master classes with actors and directors and more.
The films range from documentaries, shorts and experimental cinema to feature length movies. They are from Mexico, Chile, Argentina, United States, France, Italy, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Russia, China, Japan, Iran and a host of other countries.
The Festival line up has several categories:
• Plataforma Mexicana: A competition showcasing Mexican filmmaking talent with 14 films selected for 2015.
• Galas: Special screenings with VIP guests from the film world. This year’s films are: Burying the Ex (2014, USA). Director: Joe Dante, Elvira, te daría mi vida pero la estoy usando (2014, Mexico). Director: Manolo Caro, Incompresa (2014, Italy / France). Director: Asia Argento, Knight of Cups (2015, USA). Director: Terrence Malick
• Planetario: A selection of six films drawing attention to social, environmental, cultural, historical and political issues facing the world today.
• General Public: A choice of 17 films from all over the world that will intrigue and delight the audience in different ways.
• Panorama Autoral: A selection of 18 international films showing the many ways of telling stories, using language and different movie genres.
• RivieraLab Presents: This is a showcase for documentaries, shorts and feature films that were featured as RivieraLAB projects in previous years of the festival and are now a reality.
• Selection – RivieraLAB 2015: A selection of film projects in progress.
• RivieraLAB Coproduction Forum 2015: Nine film projects in progress compete for a first prize of $200,000 pesos and a runner’s up prize of $100,000 pesos.
• RivieraLAB Work in Progress 2015: Seven film projects at the post-production stage were selected from a field of 93 projects to compete for cash prizes or the Labodigital award for color correction and sound mixing.
From May 13, a selection of the most outstanding films will be screened in Puerto Morelos (May 13-17), Cancun (May 20-24), Isla Mujeres (May 28-30) and Tulum (June 4-6).