Update – August 19, 12 p.m.
Grace made landfall south of Tulum earlier today as a Category 1 hurricane and has weakened to Tropical Storm force as it moves across the Yucatan Peninsula. It will enter the Gulf of Mexico late tonight and track west towards the coast of Veracruz. A Tropical Storm Warning is still in effect for the coast from Tulum north to Cancun. A Hurricane warning has been declared for the coast of Veracruz.
Windy conditions and heavy rain will continue throughout the region today with a storm surge along the coast.
We are pleased to report that the storm passed without incident at Royal Resorts. Members and guests spent the night in their units or in the resort shelters in the lobby areas and were looked after by staff in the hurricane brigades. All are well.
Damage is minimal: downed branches, a few beach palapas have been washed away and there is some sand on the sun decks and in the pools. Resort personnel are reporting for work today in their regular shifts to begin cleaning up. Normal service will resume during the day and in the case of outdoor activities, as weather conditions permit.
Guests should stay at their resort today and not venture out into the streets.
The beaches are closed until further notice.
Guest service information
Please take note of this guest service information for today:
- Restaurants are open.
- The pool bars will be closed until weather conditions improve.
- The pools are closed for cleaning.
- A Rainy Day activity program is available today in the activity centers, kids clubs and lobby bars.
- The sale of alcohol is now permitted in the stores, restaurants and bars.
- There will be no housekeeping service today.
- If you are due to leave Cancun today, contact your airline to check the status of your flight.
We will be publishing further updates on resort services during the day.