Update – August 19th. 9 a.m.
Hurricane Grace made landfall south of Tulum early this morning and will cross the Yucatan Peninsula today. It will enter the Gulf of Mexico tonight and will track west towards the coast of Veracruz.
Windy conditions and heavy rain will continue throughout the region today with a storm surge along the coast.
We are pleased to report that the storm passed without incident at Royal Resorts. Members and guests spent the night in their units or in the resort shelters in the lobby areas and were looked after by staff in the hurricane brigades. All are well.
Damage is minimal: downed branches, a few beach palapas have been washed away and there is some sand on the sun decks and in the pools. Resort personnel are reporting for work today in their regular shifts to begin cleaning up. Normal service will resume during the day and in the case of outdoor activities, as weather conditions permit.
The beaches are closed until further notice.
Guests should stay at their resort today and not venture out into the streets.
Guest service information
Please take note of this guest service information for today:
- Restaurants are open for breakfast with a contingency menu.
- A Rainy Day activity program will be available today in the activity centers, kids clubs and lobby bars.
- The pools will be closed for cleaning.
- The pool bars will be closed until weather conditions improve.
- The sale of alcohol is now permitted in the stores, restaurants and bars.
- There will be no housekeeping service today.
- If you are due to leave Cancun today, contact your airline to check the status of your flight.
We will be publishing further updates on resort services during the day.