Update – August 18th. 3 p.m.
Hurricane Grace is advancing west through the Caribbean towards the Yucatan Peninsula. A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the Quintana Roo coast from Cancun to Punta Herrero in Sian Ka’an, including Cozumel. A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued for the coast north of Cancun and west to Campeche and from Punta Herrero to Puerto Costa Maya.
The storm is expected to strengthen and make landfall on the Quintana Roo coast south of Tulum as a Category 1 hurricane early Thursday. Wind, heavy rain and a storm surge are forecast for the region and weather conditions will begin to deteriorate this afternoon.
The Royal Resorts Hurricane Contingency Plan is in effect. Due to the forecast category of the storm, evacuation will not be necessary, however we have implemented our shelter protocols at the resorts to keep guests safe.
There is no cause for alarm, but guests should remain at their resort today and tomorrow morning. Do not venture on to the beach or streets.
Important Resort Services Information
- The beach and pools will be closed at 5 p.m. today.
- The sale of alcohol will be suspended at 5 p.m. in the stores, restaurants and bars, until further notice.
- Beach and pool bars will close at 5 p.m.
- The lobby bars will stay open until 11 p.m., alcohol will not be served.
- Captain’s Cove restaurant will be closed this evening.
- The last inter-resort shuttle service will be at 5 p.m. from The Royal Cancun to The Royal Sands, 6 p.m. from The Royal Islander to The Royal Sands, at 6:20 p.m. from The Royal Sands to The Royal Cancun and 6:30 p.m. from The Royal Sands to The Royal Islander.
- If you have a flight later today, please check the status with your airline.
- Room Service will be suspended today at 8 p.m.
- Stay in your unit in the evening.
- Please move your terrace furniture into the unit and close the windows and curtains. If you need help moving the furniture, please contact Guest Services at ext. 171.
- If you feel nervous about staying in your unit, make your way to the lobby area, which is the designated hurricane shelter where staff will make you comfortable.
- Royal Market will be open for groceries and snacks.
- A doctor is on site should you require medical attention.
- Restaurants will serve breakfast tomorrow but with a contingency menu.
- There will be no Housekeeping service tomorrow.
Further updates will be published at the Front Desk, on our website www.royalresorts.com, via voice mail and on the Royal Channel (channels 3 in English & 2 in Spanish).