More News about the Cancun Beach Project

At a press conference on July 13, Mexican Minister of Tourism Rodolfo Elizondo Torres and Quintana Roo State Governor Felix Gonzalez Canto announced that plans to restore the beaches in Cancun, Riviera Maya and Cozumel would go ahead this year. Our earlier report mentioned that the work will be carried out by Mexicana de Dragados S.A. de C.V. and coordinated by the Mexican Electricity Board or CFE. Gustavo Arvizu Lara, Civil Engineering Manager for the CFE gave more details about the project.

Mr. Arvizu said that as of July 15, Mexicana de Dragados S.A. de C.V. will begin to move its dredgers and equipment into the Mexican Caribbean. Almost seven million cubic meters of sand will be dredged from sand banks lying in deeper waters offshore, one of which is located to the north of Cozumel, and transferred to the beaches affected by erosion in Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. The amount of sand required for this project represents between six and seven per cent of the total volume of the said sand banks and experts are confident that they will be replenished by natural marine sedimentation processes.

According to the project timeline, sand will be pumped on to the Cancun beaches starting September 1 and should be completed by November 30. The project also calls for the construction of offshore barriers in several places along the coast and this will take place between September 15 and November 15. Work should be finished by December 13, weather permitting.

Planning for this extremely important program has been meticulous and the Mexican authorities spent months studying the affected shoreline, discussing the lessons learned from the first Cancun beach restoration in 2006, comparing coastal protection initiatives elsewhere in the world and analyzing proposals before coming to a decision. During every stage of the project, work will be carefully monitored by engineers, oceanographers and environmentalists. Scientists will be measuring wave action, tides, currents, beach profile and erosion in order to calculate the average rate of sediment transport, a key factor to take into account for the following 10-year maintenance period.

Source: Quintana Roo State Government

beachrecovery

16 replies
  1. Sherine Dornbos
    Sherine Dornbos says:

I am so thrilled to see this article as my husband and I are owners of 2 weeks at The Royal Sands and 2 weeks at The Haciendas. We hope with our whole hearts that this project will be completed by the end of this year so that we will be able to enjoy the restored beaches in 2010. Thank you to the Mexican government!

2. Lorraine Jimenez
    Lorraine Jimenez says:

I am extremely happy to see this project is finally going to happen. When I first came to Cancun in 1991, the beach is what sold the place. I just had to buy. Last year my husband and myself were heartsick at the sight. If we wanted to swim in a pool instead of the ocean, we would go to our other ownership resort in Orlando which too is 5 star accommodations. We love the ocean! That’s why we bought at the Royal Resorts.

3. Pat Freda
    Pat Freda says:

I am very very happy to hear about the beach restoration. When my husband and I bought at Royals the beach was a big factor in our decision to vacation there. The beach was just beautiful so let’s hope the Mexican goverment can bring it back to where it was before.

4. Jill Howes
    Jill Howes says:

We are so happy to hear this news! We have been coming to Cancun for about 15 years and have always loved the beaches. Last year was so disappointing: no beaches and it rained the entire 2 weeks we were there! (October). We own one week at the Sands and 2 villas at the Haciendas (same week) – at least the Haciendas had some beach. Thanks for all the hard work.

5. Laura Lanzoni
    Laura Lanzoni says:

I am wondering if the royal markets in cancun or any where else in cancun sell light cream or half and half for coffee, like in the us?

• jgreen
      jgreen says:

Dear Laura: Thank you for writing to Royal Resorts News. The Royal Resorts stores stock full milk, semi-skimmed, light & no lactose milk, Coffee Mate and Lyncott coffee substitute. If you have a special request The Royal Market will try and get it for you. Have you visited the useful Kitchen Stater Kit on the Royal Resorts website http://www.royalresorts.com ? You can order groceries for your vacation online before you travel and they will be delivered to your villa on the day you arrive.
      I hope that this helps.

6. Jane Ginopolis
    Jane Ginopolis says:

I will be visiting my Royal Islander villa Oct. 10th. As I have a ocean front villa I wondered what I will find on the beach with the project under way. Is there any part of the beach front that can be used now for swimming or walking? I am also very glad the project will restore the beaches but don’t want to be shocked when I arrive.

• jgreen
      jgreen says:

Dear Jane: I am sorry for the delay in replying to your query. I have sent you an email. I hope it helps and I also hope that you have a wonderful vacation.

7. Orvid Pratt
    Orvid Pratt says:

How about more timely updates on the beach project. To say that monitering is going to prevent the repaired beach from disappearing again is a stretch.

• jgreen
      jgreen says:

Dear Orvid: Thank you for writing to Royal Resorts News. I should be posting an update on the Beach Restoration program tomorrow. Unfortunately we are still waiting for information from the authorities.

8. Dolores Martinez
    Dolores Martinez says:

thank you, thank you. We now can return to our “home” without a tear in our eyes and an ache in our hearts. When we went in May for our week at the Haciendas, we took a trip up to the Mayan to check out our home beach. It was just heartbreaking to see it was worse than when we were there in November. We have always loved the Royals because of the beach. We look forward to our next trip home.

9. Mark Sibus
    Mark Sibus says:

RE: The Current Condition of Beach….
    We enjoy a week at the sands and the mayan…9/19-10/3….the beach is fine @ the r sands for both walking and entering the water….it is just not as large as we are used to ….no evidence of work yet visible at this time
    the beach @ the mayan….is fine for walking….but it would be considered tough regarding entering the water….the edge is eroded and the limestone sub strata is exposed
    making it more difficult to enter the water without care and some degree of expierence ….not recommended for faint of heart or any with physical infirmaties

10. Crystal C. Engelhart Malang
    Crystal C. Engelhart Malang says:

I am planning to be at the Royal Carribean for the entire month of January 2010. Have invited some potential buyers so I hope everything looks good.

11. Kathy
    Kathy says:

My father bought week 41 at the Mayan D110 pre construction. Needless to say, I have seen the beaches disappearing for sometime. Since the passing of both parent’s, my husband and have retained ownership. Last year we stayed at the Sands. The ability to enter the water was limited. We are staying at the Royal Islander Nov 14-21st. I am excited to see the progress. I’ll give an updated when I return.

• jgreen
      jgreen says:

Dear Kathy: We are also waiting for news from the authorities as to when work will begin in front of The Royal Islander. The latest news is that the pipes are now arriving and are being assembled here and in the port of Progreso in Yucatan and that the dredger is on its way. Work is expected to begin in Cancun on October 19 but we don’t know where yet, as soon as we do we will be posting an update on this page. I hope that this helps.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!