Basking in the tropical sun on a Mexican Caribbean beach it can be easy to overdo it, especially if you come from a cooler northern climate. If you do have a case of sunburn, The Royal Resorts Spa at The Royal Sands in Cancun and The Royal Haciendas in the Riviera Maya has the answer.
The new SOS After Sun Facial from the Babor line of luxury skincare from Germany, now available at the Spa, is the perfect remedy. It contains soothing chamomile, vitamin E, soya, sesame seed and peanut oils, aloe vera, wild indigo extract and kaolin. These active ingredients refresh and calm skin that is red, irritated or overheated after too much sun, providing instant relief. The gentle formula also makes it ideal for sensitive skin.
The mask is applied and then your face is completely covered in bandages for 60 minutes for maximum absorption. The SOS After Sun Facial does not include a steam treatment or extractions.
Top tips for beating the heat from the Royal Resorts Spa
• Wear a hat, sunglasses and have a t-shirt or cover up with you
• Apply eco-friendly sunscreen with the correct factor for your skin and repeat during the day
• Make sure that your children wear special kids sun lotion with a high SPF factor to protect them from burning, SPF 70 is recommended
• The hottest part of the day is between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Even if it is cloudy or breezy you can still burn
• Drink plenty of water throughout the day, at least two liters is recommended
• Don’t overdo your sunbathing! Cool off in the shade or in the water frequently
• Sun products should always be reapplied after bathing
• Use environmentally friendly sun products to protect marine life and coral reefs and shower before entering the water
• An even better idea is to wear a t-shirt as an alternative to sun cream if you plan to go snorkeling
• Wear cool cotton clothing in white, cream or pastel colors
• Snack on fresh fruit and vegetables to cool off
• Add some freshly squeezed lime, orange or grapefruit juice to your water or try some of the local tropical fruit drinks known as aguas de fruta o aguas frescas. Made with pineapple, orange, lime, mango, melon, guanabana or soursop, pitahaya (Dragon fruit) and guava you’ll find them very refreshing. Another cool drink to order is jamaica, which is a iced tea made with the dried petals of the hibiscus flower
• If you are in Cancún or Playa del Carmen indulge with some helado as ice cream is known in Mexico, you’ll find a variety of flavors and whichever one you choose, it’s sure to be delicious
• If you do burn, apply refreshing aloe vera gel to cool off or make an appointment at the Royal Resorts Spa for the SOS After Sun Facial
• Apply moisturizer in the evening after bathing to keep your skin soft. Slices of cucumber over the eyes will also help you cool off
• It is cooler on the coast due to the sea breeze so if you plan to visit the archaeological sites and colonial cities that lie inland in neighboring Yucatán, it is a good idea to go early when it is cooler. You’ll also beat the crowds.
Royal Resorts is offering its members more options for a richer lifestyle that promises a lifetime of extraordinary memories. Introducing a new Grand Residences Points-based membership that provides exclusive benefits through the Royal Resorts Signature Club’s latest addition, the Elite membership. Discover what the new Signature Club Elite membership offers: • Exclusive Points access to […]
We have a new Royal Resorts dining option for you this summer, get ready to tuck into traditional dishes from all over Mexico! It’s Mexican Night in La Veranda at The Royal Sands in Cancun. Listen to mellow marimba music performed by a group from Chiapas as you sip a margarita, tequila or mezcal or […]