Grand Residences is a “Green” Resort

Grand Residences has been built according to the strictest codes to safeguard the environment and it uses the latest energy-efficient technology and green initiatives already implemented at the other Royal Resorts to conserve natural resources. However, its location in a protected ecosystem – surrounded by mangrove forest and with a jungle and wetland reserve behind it – meant that even more meticulous planning was required in order to obtain the environmental permits required to develop the site.
 
Royal Resorts is committed to protecting the surrounding mangrove forest and contributing to a reforestation project, and is incorporating mangroves and native sand dune plants in the landscape design at Grand Residences. To this end, a nursery was established and a team of biologists and gardeners began to nurture mangrove seedlings and other native species of plants. By the time the resort opened in December, they had raised 100,000 plants to be used on the grounds and adjacent areas.
 
By law, 75 percent of the 13-acre site at Grand Residences must be planted with white mangroves and botoncillo or dwarf mangroves using special sunken gardens. The remaining 25 percent of the grounds at Grand Residences will be planted with 250 species of native trees and shrubs commonly found growing on the dunes, or in areas of coastal wetland and jungle. These include palms (chit, royal, coconut, washingtonia and traveler’s palm), chaka, ciricote (cordia) and akit trees. Flowering plants such as ixoras, mandevillea, croton, purple maguey, spider lilies and tradescantia will add splashes of color to the gardens.
 
The wetlands behind Grand Residences are home to a variety of birds including several kinds of heron, ibis, roseate spoonbills, kingfishers, anhingas, cormorants, pelicans and osprey. The Grand Residences reforestation project will contribute to the conservation of their habitat.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.